Monday, October 19, 2015

Projects and Parent Teacher Conferences

Today was the first day of the second quarter.  We spent the day working on our Heroic Journey presentations in tenth grade and doing some review activities for The Great Little Madison in ninth grade.  The ninth graders will make a Jeopardy style review game with facts from the book.  They will take their test next Monday.

The tenth graders will present their projects showing the monomyth pattern as demonstrated in their book.  Their presentations will be on Tuesday, October 27, and we'd love to have lots of parents come see their work.  I'll email with the specific times for each class.  I really enjoy hearing their discussions about the book elements.  In tenth grade, we are also working on some reading ACT passages and practicing comma rules with restrictive and non-restrictive clauses.

In addition to finishing their book, Ninth graders will be starting some vocabulary learning with the most common prefixes, roots, and suffixes.  They will be tested on these throughout the quarter until they show mastery.  These will help your student in their word attack skills.  I am surprised how often I see these word parts in everyday reading exposure.

I am looking forward to conferences.  I have really enjoyed the first quarter of the year and I will have report cards and test scores to share.  We will be on a tight time schedule, so please be prompt and I will also manage the conference time to stay on schedule.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment